Monday, September 15, 2008

What I've read, What I'm reading

Here are some titles that I've read recently, or which I'm currently just starting. I thought about writing more comprehensive reviews of the ones I've read, but thought that would take too much time (and unless I feel really strongly about a book, I have difficulty writing a review).

What I've Read

1. Jaded: Hope for Believers Who Have Given Up on Church But Not on God by A. J. Kiesling

This is a (another?) book about why people are disillusioned with the institutional church. I found it in the bargain section of ChristianBook.com. Although the Amazon reviews average out to just average, I thought the author provided some thought provoking material, particularly for church leaders. The main premise I got out of it was that the purpose of Christianity ought to be in finding God and getting to know Him, rather than church membership and/or attendance. According to the author, the institutional church is merely a tool in people's journey of getting to know God. The author echoes some of the misgivings and disillusionments I personally have with the church, so I found myself agreeing with most of the points made.

2. A Dangerous Hope: Encountering the God of Grace by Al Truesdale and Bonnie Perry

This was another title in the bargain bin at ChristianBook.com. Until I read this book, I didn't realize that the Nazarenes are Wesleyans, and therefore, close cousins of the Seventh-day Adventists. The premise of the book is that the Bible shows that the sovereignty of God is love, rather than absolute power. The authors develop this reasoning, based on scriptural evidence, to show how love, it being His essential character, necessarily limits what God is able to do in the universe without violating His own character. The authors work through themes including liberty and freedom, grace, already but not yet, and the kingdom of heaven to show how the Wesleyan perspective on salvation provides hope and assurance.

I found this book particularly enjoyable and stimulating. To my eyes, it seems most of the popular Christian titles are written by authors of the Reformed (Calvin) persuasion. I've been wondering recently if Seventh-day Adventists have been getting subconsciously influenced by the Calvinistic views of God's sovereignty and salvation. From what I see and hear, this might be the case. That is why I found this title so refreshing to read. I highly recommend it, if you can find a copy.

3. Ordinary People, Faithful God compiled and edited by Nathan Brown

This is one I picked up at campmeeting in July. It's a collection of stories about miracles and answered prayers. I realize many people are edified by such tales. I'm not one of them. It's not that I don't believe in miracles and answered prayers, because I do and I believe I've personally experienced some. But they're not the norm, and a large collection like this could possibly give the impression that it ought to be the norm. Nice book, nice stories, but it/they just didn't do anything for me.

What I'm Reading

1. Grounds for Belief by Ed Dickerson

This is another one I picked up at campmeeting. I've only read the introduction and the first chapter, so I can only give my initial impressions. So far it looks like something I'll enjoy. This is another of the titles that challenge in-the-box thinking and encourage out-of-the-box ones in regards to the topic of religion and religion-related things. I plan to read portions of the book during our weekly Sabbath gatherings (BTW, I really dislike the term "service" applied to church and worship).

2. Armageddon at the Door by Jon Paulien

This is yet another title picked up at campmeeting. I have Paulien's earlier Revelation book, The Deep Things of God. This is the next installment in a series from Paulien helping non-scholars develop tools to understand the book of Revelation. I've so far read through the first few chapters where the author describes the current Middle East situation. I'm not sure where things are going to head from here. It looks interesting, however.

3. Landmines in the Path of the Believer:Avoiding the Hidden Dangers by Charles F. Stanley

I belong to a "book club" type subscription by Thomas Nelson. Every four to six weeks I get a book. There are some authors that I simply can't stand to read, so I request they not be sent. I'm not sure as to which category this book and author is going to end up. I've only read the introduction, but the impression I get is that the author's primary definition of "sin" is behavior and thoughts contrary to God's commands. This is not the definition that I use as my starting point. "Sin" as I've come to understand it is primarily a broken relationship with God, or in slightly different words, a refusal to trust and depend completely upon God.

I'm not exactly looking forward to reading through this book, because it may just leave me frustrated and annoyed due to the differing views on the main thematic material. But I suppose that from time to time I need to read things that don't match my perspectives so that I don't get locked inside a box of my own creation. Not only that, but there just might be something I can learn from this book.

4 comments:

Dennis Fischer said...

I heartily recommend books by John Piper, John MacArthur, and R. C. Sproul. Indeed, books are like friends, we can't have too many good ones. Happy reading!

Dennis Fischer
E-mail: dfministries@gmail.com

Melissa Peterson said...

I am contemplating moving to Alaska to attend a baptist college there to get my bachelors in Christian education. I am just wondering how you and your family coped with the changes and what you really enjoy about Alaska.
Thanks

Melissa

Mark said...

Melissa,

I think it really helped that we were all wanting out of the rat-race, McMansion, suburbia environment. Even so, personally, the first three months or so I felt some extreme ups and downs.

I don't know where the Baptist college is located, but if it is in or near Anchorage or Juneau, honestly, I don't think it will be that much of a change from the "Lower 48" or "Outside" (as Alaskans refer to the rest of the world). The real challege is for us who are off the connected road system, because that means added expense and time for anything that comes in or goes out.

The real test for anyone is their first winter due to both cold and short days. Where we are in the Southeast, the constant clouds and rain also take their toll.

Several things that I can say I enjoy --

First, the natural splendor. Even near Anchorage, it only takes minutes away from the city to find unspoiled beauty. Where we are, it's just a look outside our windows.

Next, the isolation and remoteness, while there are drawbacks, overall I think there are more benefits. It makes us move more slowly and deliberately. There are no big-box discounters or fast-food places in our town, so impulse spending is checked, quite literally. Because of the low population, it doesn't take long for most people to at least recognize one another.

Again, I don't speak for the large cities of Alaska, but where we are, it's safe to leave the front door unlocked, leave the keys in the car (with the car running), and let our kids go into town by themselves.

Finally, again, because of the isolation and small population, at least in our town all of the Christian churches get along quite well. We work together and support one another, because frankly, if we didn't, most of the churches aren't big enough to make much of an impact.

I hope this gives you a little bit more insight.

Best Wishes,
Mark

Melissa Peterson said...

Thank you Mark!
I had not checked back to your blog to see that you had responded. I am a huge lover of nature so I think that will be one thing I love there. I will most likely be going to school in Juneau at Southeast and doing some online classes through Wayland Baptist until I can find a job and place to live on my own. A population like Juneau, of 30,000 is not much compared to the closest baptist school here with is in Kansas City. However, I do love the small town feel. Thanks a lot for you opinions. They have helped much.