Monday, September 22, 2008

Cabbages, cabbages

Cabbage is on sale this week (last Thurs. to this Wed.) at 49 cents per pound. Shelley used some of it (though this cabbage was purchased at the other store that doesn’t have cabbage on sale) in the egg rolls last Friday. I used the remaining half of it in a pasta casserole last night. The recipe came from a fruit and vegetable cookbook sent by my mother-in-law a few weeks back. I had some misgivings about how it might turn out, but the result was quite acceptable.

For the remainder of the week, I think we’re going to have quite a few more cabbage dishes. I looked up cabbages in the indices of my two Indian cookbooks and discovered I could probably prepare a different Indian dish for two weeks.

I’ve never been too fond of raw cabbage; nor the usual plain, cooked cabbage; but I’m discovering that as long as the cabbage is cooked and seasoned in interesting ways, it can be quite tasty.

No comments: