Friday, September 05, 2008

Salmon

_MG_3082

No, I didn't catch it.

One of our church members, a commercial fisherman, just returned (I assume) from a fishing trip. While we were having supper we heard a knock on the door. We thought it was another person who had just dropped some things off for a baby shower taking place tomorrow evening, who had forgotten something and had returned. But we were surprised to see that it wasn't and more surprised to find an entire salmon (okay, I'm not good at identifying salmon species, but I think [Sunday 9/7: yes, it is] this is a King (or Chinook)) in a bag.

After quickly finishing off supper, it was time to try to figure out what to do with it. When it comes to handling fish, I'm am a total, complete, absolute greenhorn. I don't even own a fillet knife. Fortunately, my 8-1/2 inch chef's knife is quite sharp so I did my best attempt at filleting the fish. I ended up with about 10 single-serving size fillets. I have to learn how to properly cut up a fish...

I also ended up with a bunch of good flesh off of the areas that my mediocre filleting left behind, so I scraped all that off the bones and ended up with a good-sized portion. I cooked this immediately in a frying pan and had a little bit with some soy sauce. The rest I'm saving for tomorrow. It wasn't the least bit fishy smelling or tasting -- but very tender, crumbly, and succulent. It was better than dessert.

No comments: