Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The saga of packages continues

I got a hold of the reseller who sent me the wrong device. Indeed it was the wrong device, and they don’t have any of the ones I want in stock. I thus had to go to another online reseller and find a different audio interface device. They had a non-factory sealed item at a reduced price, and supposedly with free shipping. It will end up costing $20 more than my original purchase, if all goes well.

Anyway, for returning the wrong unit I’m supposed to be getting a prepaid call tag (okay, I’m not sure what it is). I left a message for the cartage agent in town to see if they know what it is and if they will accept it. If they don’t, well, I guess the saga will go on a bit longer.

I got no word back today from the canopy factory regarding the door shipment. I guess I’ll have to try to talk to someone tomorrow and see if I can get any more definite answers.

Speaking of tomorrow, it’s supposed to be mostly sunny. Today has been dry though mostly cloudy. My plan is to head out of the house tomorrow and see what I can find in the muskeg and on the beach. But with the best laid plans going awry lately, who knows what will happen.

All this is once again showing me how much I like to have order and control over my own life. When things are beyond my control, I get frustrated and anxious. Looks like there’s still a lot more growing to do.

There was an interesting column last week in the Wall Street Journal by Peggy Noonan, titled “Why It’s Getting Mean.” (You probably need a subscription to see the entire article.) I think it speaks to people’s search for security and control when things seem to be spiraling out of control.

The article begins,

The financial crisis changes the entire shape and feel of the presidential election. It isn't just bad news, it's bad news that reveals what many people deep down feared, and hoped not to see revealed: that the huge and sprawling financial system of Wall Street is maintained essentially on faith, mood and assumption; that its problems are deep; that at some level the system looks to have been a house of cards. It isn't just bad news; it's deep bad news that reaches into the heart of widespread national anxiety.

Everyone is afraid…

About midway through she writes,

The economic crisis brings a new question, unarticulated so far but there, and I know because when I mention it to people they go off like rockets. It is: Do you worry that neither of them is up to it? Up to the job in general? Is either Mr. McCain or Mr. Obama actually up to getting us through this and other challenges? I haven't heard a single person say, "Yes, my guy is the answer." A lot of shrugging is going on out there. This is a read not only on the men but on the moment.

In the concluding paragraphs she writes,

A final point. Do you ever have the passing thought that the presidential election doesn't matter as much as we think? Whoever wins will govern within more of less the same limits, both domestically and internationally…

I wonder if we follow the election so passionately because we're afraid. We're afraid a lot of our national problems are intractable, and the future too full of challenge.

We cannot tolerate feeling this way. So we make believe the election can change everything. And we follow it passionately to convince ourselves its outcome will be decisive and make everything better. We reassure ourselves with pictures of the cheering crowds at the rally. We even find some comfort in the latest story of the latest dirty trick. But deep inside we think: Ah, that won't work either…

No comments: