Friday, September 12, 2008

Being Alaskan is good, at least once a year

The annual PFD, our first, was deposited into our bank account today. After setting aside reserves for taxes, donations, heating (after all, $1200/person is supposed to be to help offset higher heating and fuel costs), travel, auto repair and maintenance (the main reason for the travel), there's much less than what appears at first glance. Even so, I've conservatively allowed each of us $350 for "mad money." Not only that, but the state giving money is much better than the state taking away...

Before anyone gets the "clever" idea of moving to Alaska for the dividend, you should know that living expenses are considerably more than in the Lower 48, costly travel is a way of life, and you have to survive at least two Alaska winters before you're eligible (must be a resident for one full calendar year).

I'm not sure how the others in our family are planning to spend the money, but I have my eyes on a computer audio interface so that I can make some audio recordings of my MIDI synth. Even though the audio chipset on my laptop supports line-in, there is no port for it. Also, the chipset is RealTek HD which no one valuing quality would rely upon anyway. With fall here (maybe not on the calendar, but trust me, it's here) the days are getting darker which means much more time spent inside, and well, I need an indoor hobby and photography isn't terribly realistic.

No comments: