Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Preparing for SE Campmeeting

I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed with all the busy-ness of this week preparing for the Southeast Campmeeting on Vank Island this weekend.

Yesterday, I spent all day putting together a set of MIDI files for our songs: 10 contemporary praise and 11 traditional hymns. I was able to locate and modify MIDI files for about half of them, and fortunately for the most complicated and long ones. But for the remaining ones I ended up playing and recording the music. That meant bringing my MIDI keyboard and setting up the MIDI interface and sequencer software on my new notebook PC. My plan is to use the Roland VSC software synth on the notebook and pipe the audio through a couple of speakers. I don't want to take the actual MIDI keyboard over to the island. I still have some work to do on the files to switch them over to the VSC synth.

Today and tomorrow the plan is to prepare the seasonings and sauces for the Sabbath lunch dishes. One is a spiffed-up macaroni and cheese. The other is a spiced split pea dish. I think for both I can prepare the sauces and then put it together with minimal preparation at the site. The rule-of-thumb that worked well from last year is 1-1/2 pounds of food per person. We are expecting about 75 this year.

Tomorrow evening is the opening of the movie Wall-E here in town. Elise is working but I think I can take the kids to see it. From everything I've read about it, it sounds like the best movie (so far) of the year.

Finally there's the packing of all the personal stuff that's needed for camp. Due to the numbers of people, I think we'll end up pitching a tent rather than staying in one of the cabins. The weather forecast has been improving, and I'm hopeful that the heavy rains will stay away.

No comments: