Friday, July 18, 2008

Errands and Campmeeting

After breakfast our first task was to go to the Japanese Consular office so I could pick up my new passport. $142 later, I had it in hand. And then something happened that was a first - the consular officer asked if we were in a hurry. We weren't so he came out, sat down and chatted with us for a few minutes. I've been to the San Francisco and Portland offices and it was always just business. This was a unique experience. We talked about how we ended up in Petersburg, our work, the town, and our kids.

Following that we headed to Office Depot just a couple of blocks away as the crow flies, but a long way around in the car. There I perused more notebook PCs. The tablet-style PC was on sale - turns out they were being closed out and the only one remaining was the floor model. I decided to purchase it. The only problem? No AC adapter. After quite a bit of searching and no adapter, a replacement was thrown in for free in addition to a floor model discount on both the unit and an extended warranty. So overall I think I got a pretty good deal.

We headed up north to the campgrounds. One of the bookstore staff flew in from Southern California. She is someone we knew while at PUC. We listened to a health talk, where both Elise and I looked at one another with some consternation with some of what was being presented. Elise went to dinner with the other pastors' wives. After she returned I learned I was being recruited to play the piano. So I did. Immediately afterwards we, together with the bookstore staff went to get some supper (Elise had hot chocolate).

By then it was already towards the end of the evening meeting and so we headed back to Anchorage. On the way back I realized that in many ways the scenery was a lot like Western Washington - between Vancouver and Olympia, and the stretch of I-5 north of Seattle to Canada: lots of evergreens, misty mountains, clouds, rivers.

Being this far north and so much farther west than Petersburg, it is still quite bright outside at 11 pm.
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

No comments: