Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cactus Offset

I was moving around a little (well, it used to be, several years ago -- now it's over a foot tall but only about an inch in diameter -- very unstable) potted cactus to check on the soil condition when a large offset that had been growing on it bumped the shelf above and fell off.

Here it is.

_MG_2381

The offset is 1-3/4 inches in length. What I found amazing is that the only connection between it and the mother plant was that little piece sticking out from the bottom. It's no more than 1 mm in thickness, but that's all that was needed to grow into a nice, plump offset.

Last time I tried to propagate the offsets, I didn't have much success. Maybe I'll have better luck this time. I guess it's okay for them to just sit for a few days since they more or less do that in their natural habitat. After I return home next week, I'll see if I can find any cactus potting mix in town and set this one on the mix.

No comments: