Friday, July 04, 2008

Data and applications migrated

Seven hours later...

I think I have all the key applications and critical data moved over and accessible on my desktop PC.

  • Outlook and all of its data stores, e-mail account settings, etc.
  • Internet Explorer favorites and RSS feeds
  • BlackBerry Desktop
  • MS Money and data file
  • OneNote files

In addition to SyncToy mentioned in the previous post, I had the first opportunity to use Windows Live OneCare Backup's restore function to bring over the Favorites and RSS feeds. It worked very well once I figured out how to get to them. OneCare's Backup also offered a little peace of mind at the start of all this because even if the laptop became non-functional before I could get SyncToy to move the data, at least the backup data was less than a week old.

The display hardware is definitely on the way out. When the laptop has been turned off for a while, it works for a few minutes after I turn it back on, but the problem seems to be getting worse each time. I think if I take it into one of the commercial freezers in town and run the laptop, it might continue to work for a little while longer. I think the operating heat adversely affects it. The problem with laptops is that you can't just replace failed hardware. One big plus for desktops, even today.

It was a good laptop -- 10 6-1/2 years old (I must have been thinking of another laptop). It's probably lasted about twice as long a couple years longer than it was meant to. So not too many tears shed. But I sure didn't need to work on this for half the day...

I researched some replacements, and it looks like a good one can be had for between $900 and $1200. It isn't quite how I wanted to spend the "economic stimulus" funds... I had hoped the laptop would last one more year. I'll see if I can function without a laptop, and if I can, I'll likely postpone purchasing a replacement until next year.

One reason I upgraded my BlackBerry handheld was to try to get by on short-duration travels without having to take along a full PC. It looks like I won't have much choice in the matter now.

Now I can return to my original plan for the day: to work on tomorrow's sermon.

No comments: