Friday, July 04, 2008

It isn't Friday the 13th, is it?

My 10-year old (or almost 10) laptop showed signs of going kaput this morning. It looks like the display hardware is going out on me. This is the PC where I have all my sermon stuff, all my e-mails, all our finance data, etc. In other words, it's the most critical PC in the house.

This being Friday and all, it's the one day I can't afford to have it go out because I still have to put together tomorrow's sermon. I tried last night, but the thoughts didn't flow and I was feeling rather sleepy.

Anyway, I'm working on getting all of the data moved onto my desktop PC (the one I'm writing this on) using Microsoft's SyncToy utility. After that I can at least get to the sermon files and notes (they're in OneNote, which I already have installed here). As for e-mail, I'll make do with the BlackBerry and Windows Live Mail to access my e-mail accounts until I get Outlook installed.

Microsoft Money is another issue. Even if I could find the original installation disc, it's now 4 years old and Microsoft doesn't support it. I'll have to purchase and download a new version, I guess.

As for the laptop... Anyone who offers free or low cost shipping will certainly be on my list from where I purchase a replacement. Sigh...

This being Independence Day, I had planned to go out and at least watch the parade - even if it is kind of wet and rainy. But with the problems of this morning, I may not even get to do that today.

You're welcome to join my pity party today...

No comments: