Thursday, October 04, 2007

Why Jesus didn't say, "Be my marketers"

There are some points to ponder from an article posted today on Christianity Today. It challenges the concepts that churches need to increase name-recognition, that more is better, that churches exist to primarily to provide benefits to those who attend.

Here is the opening paragraph:
When we "market," we try to make a larger audience aware of the value of exchanging a good or service. We assume both parties will benefit from the transaction. Marketing is a wonderful thing. I like to hear pitches about products I might use. I like the fact that my publishers pitch my books to a larger public. Thank God for marketing! But there's a reason Jesus said "You shall be my witnesses," and not "You shall be my marketers."

(Click HERE to read rest of article.)

No comments: