Friday, October 19, 2007

First Frost

Last night we saw the moon clearly in the sky, so I had a feeling it would get cold overnight. I was not mistaken because when I awoke this morning, the ground was frosty and the official temperature at the airport was 32F. My outside thermometer didn't quite hit that low.

The morning was quite foggy. But by afternoon all the fog had burned off and blown away and today turned out to be a very clear day.

Here are two photos from today before the camera battery died.

 

Amy bicycled to the hospital this morning to do her coffee run. Shelley returned this evening, on the bike, in short sleeves, with an outside temperature of 35F or so.

I'm discovering which parts of the house remain a bit colder than the rest. The living and dining rooms, which are far away from the heater and don't get the benefit of being upstairs (warm air rises...) are colder. I bought a couple of electric space heaters to help keep these two rooms closer to the rest of the house (about 62-63F). I haven't actually calculated the actual costs, but what I hear is that with the oil prices where they are now, electrical heating is on par with oil. If oil prices keeps rising any more, it might make sense to go all electrical.

I think we are all getting acclimated to the cooler temps because when we go somewhere where the temp is 70F (like during our church service), it feels hot after a while.

No comments: