Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Spyware, solos, and such

Yesterday, someone clicked on something "not good" and infected one of our PCs (the one everyone but me uses) with spyware and trojans. Even though the clean-up still took a long time, most of it was just the system scanning that could be done without me having to be there in person, watching it. I was fortunate that the problem was caught quickly, the PC had a fairly recent version of an anti-virus/malware program already installed, and it had the beta version of Microsoft's web filtering software running on it. So although infected, the infection had a difficult time multiplying too much.

I updated the Antivirus (this particular PC was using the free version of AntiVir) to the latest release and definitions, performed several rounds of scans until it came up clean. I manually checked a few areas in the Registry and such that are usually messed with by spyware and didn't find anything there. I updated Windows Defender to the latest version and performed a scan, which also came up clean. So I'm hopeful and fairly confident that this little problem is now cleared up.

The homeschool district (IDEA) sends down a couple of their educators each year for a few days to Petersburg. Last night we had a group potluck. It's a time to match names with faces and get reacquainted with many of the homeschooling families. We had a wonderful dinner. It was at the Holy Cross hall at the Lutheran church.

Immediately afterwards, I went down to the next building to audition a solo for the upcoming Messiah performance. So that went well and I will be singing Recitital #2 (Comfort Ye) and Aria #3 (Every Valley) on the 24th and 25th of November. The grapevine is on broadband in this town, because Elise already knew that I'd be singing the solos just minutes afterwards.

No comments: