Saturday, October 06, 2007

October Sunshine

Even during the rainy, stormy times of the year (of which we have been receiving plenty the last few weeks), there are occasional sun breaks and sometimes even a whole day or two. This week, Wednesday and Thursday were like that. The mornings started kind of foggy and damp, but by late morning and afternoon, the clouds had broken up enough to let some sunshine through.

These two days also just happened to coincide with those rare times when I could take some time to just wander about with a camera (whose shutter is starting to fail more and more...). Here are a few autumn images.

The dragonfly buzzed up, landed on my jeans. Since it didn't immediately fly off, I took my camera and stuck the lens just inches away from it. It still wouldn't move. It's kind of hard to see through the viewfinder with the camera at that position, so I fired off about a dozen frames hoping one or two would get the entire dragonfly at a very close range. Which obviously I was able to get. I started walking, thinking it would have to fly off. But it just stayed on my leg. I felt a little creepy with this large dragonfly stuck on my leg. After some 50 yards or so of trying to shake it off, waving my hand in front of its eyes, it finally got the energy to fly off.

No comments: