Saturday, October 06, 2007

Two dinners, one preparation

Earlier this week, I invited all of the pastors and their families to dinner Friday (yesterday) evening. Three of them were able to make it.

I wasn't quite sure how much food would be needed, so I doubled the recipes for four dishes and spent much of the day putting them together: Spiced basmati rice, naan, coconut milk yellow curry, and a pasta sauce. In addition I put together a salad and baked a out-of-a-box frozen pie. Two of the guests had earlier asked if they could bring something and I suggested desserts -- so we had two more desserts.

I need not have worried whether or not we'd have enough. There was more than enough to adequately serve twice the number that was present.

This afternoon, we invited a few people over for Sabbath lunch, to help us finish the remaining half of last night's dinner. We still have a large casserole pan of the rice. Apparently I don't need to double that recipe to serve nearly twenty, if there are other dishes about the table.

The Catholic priest was one of the guests last night and he brought over a very nice tea brewing pot as a house warming gift. It's called the Swiss Gold Pot and really just a beautiful work of art. He's of Irish descent and is very much a tea aficionado, so he knows what good teas and tea equipment are. I tried out this new tea pot this afternoon, and it blows away the Bodum tea press that I'd been using.

No comments: