Friday, July 03, 2009

Sunny days are here again

If the weather forecasts hold true, we could be in for some record breaking high temperatures during one or more days this coming week.

Today was sunny but still relatively cool. I went out on another 30 mile bike ride. My legs felt better than they have ever felt so far this year. My only question is: why is it that on an out-and-back bicycle ride, the headwind is always on the “back” portion? I saw some new wildflowers along the road, though I did not stop to take a look at them so I’m not entirely sure what they are. One was red with a yellow center.

Tomorrow is 4th of July, aka Independence Day. We will have a very short worship at church and then join the community for the celebration. We are planning to have lunch with the long-term care residents at the Medical Center. They are having an indoor 4th of July picnic and the community is invited. Elise made some deviled eggs. I put together a key lime icebox pie.

For supper this evening, I tested a test recipe that Cook’s Illustrated sent out. I signed up to be on their recipe test panel and this was the first recipe I got. It was broccoli sautéed with bacon and red onions. I substituted some turkey bacon for regular bacon. The problem with turkey bacon is that it doesn’t have any fat… Thus I added some canola oil as I was frying the bacon. The result is meaty flavored vegetable dish that I think can appeal to even die-hard carnivores. I have some thoughts about using Worthington Stripples® or Morningstar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips to see how close it gets to the meat version.

No comments: