Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Caught 3 fish this morning

None of them were really keepers so they were released.

The first was a sculpin, about 8 or 9 inches long. This was the first one of these I’d caught out in the open Narrows. As I was pulling it in I could see it was a decent size but was disappointed when I saw that it was a sculpin. They’re not good for anything, really, except perhaps cut up as bait. I don’t know if it’s even good for that. What made this catch even more annoying is that it took the lure into its throat. I had to spend several minutes with pliers pushing and pulling to release the hook and back the lure out, all the while trying to keep a hold of it (it is very slimy) and trying to avoid it’s “horns” that produce toxins.

The next two catches were small dollies. One was about five inches and the other about seven. I suppose there might have been enough flesh on the seven inch dolly to make keeping it worthwhile… After that one I headed home as I’d been out fishing for about 45 minutes.

This was the most productive outing so far.

No comments: