Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Caught my second keeper fish (updates)

R0010468

I had a little time to kill so I went down to fish again. The noseeums were awful, swarming about my head. I was out there for about 25 minutes and getting ready to pack it in and head home with every passing moment and every noseeum buzzing about. I had felt a little tug earlier but didn’t see any fish. It could have been one, or it could have been seaweed…

In any case I decided to cast out a few more times before heading back up. It was then that I felt a definite fishy tug on the line and instead of jerking it (like I often seem to do) I increased the reel-in speed and kept the line steady and saw indeed a fish on the hook. I saw that it was a decent size – small but not tiny – and so I hoped it was a Dolly and not one of the other trouts. After I had brought it in I looked at it and saw to my great pleasure that it was indeed a Dolly – dinner! I measured it once I got back home and saw that it was 9 inches – not large but good enough for a meal.

I wonder why I didn’t get into fishing earlier… :) It was the “fear of the unknown.” I didn’t know what to use and how to do it. A couple of lessons from someone more experienced was all it took. I may, and likely never will, become an expert at fishing but at least I know enough now to go have fun fishing for even just 30 minutes down at the beach.

No comments: