Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New mobile phone service

T-Mobile finally figured out I wasn’t moving back down into their service area and sent me a notice they were going to terminate service in about a month. I have  a one-year old BlackBerry Curve that I preferred to keep and use if I could.

We have three mobile service providers here: AT&T, ACS Wireless, and GCI. AT&T and GCI. ACS Wireless is on CDMA so they were more or less out of consideration. (I have a prepaid mobile phone on their network.) It was a choice between AT&T and GCI. After looking at the monthly cost for the replacement service, AT&T also was out of the running.

I e-mailed GCI support to see if I could use my unlocked device on their network. The reply didn’t sound too certain. I went to the retail store in town yesterday and they were more than willing to give it a try. They had someone else from T-Mobile recently move their unit over. If it didn’t work at least they had the same model available for free on a 2-year contract.

Anyway, it is all working on the existing device. I’m not on a contract so when the next must-have BlackBerry device is available from GCI, I can get it at a discount on a new contract.

The T-Mobile service is gone. If you want my new number, e-mail me and I can get it to you.

No comments: