Friday, June 20, 2008

I saved $2 today!

The BOB Ibex bicycle trailer I ordered on Sunday was delivered this morning. It took about an hour to assemble, and then I hooked it up to the bicycle for a test ride on the street out front. I was surprised at how easily it handled. I thought that it might take a little practice and time to get used to it, but it was really quite natural and effortless. I've never used the 2-wheel trailers so I don't know how the BOB compares to them. But what I know is that the BOB trailer, because it's a single wheel, leans and tilts and turns like a natural extension of the bike.

Connecting and disconnecting the trailer, too, was not as difficult as I had imagined. As long as the bicycle is able to sit up straight, there's very little effort in the connect and disconnect operations.

I went out with it to get groceries and the mail this afternoon. Maneuvering it into a parking location, I found, could be a little troublesome. It adds nearly a full bike length, so think about having to park something that long... And backing it up to try to get it into position is a trick I haven't quite figured out yet. The trailer seems to want to go its own way.

From the downtown grocery store to the Post Office and the other grocery store is an uphill trek. I had purchased probably 10-15 lbs. of groceries at the first one. Going up the hill I could definitely feel the weight. Once up there, the return trip was all level or downhill so that was quite easy, even with another 10 lbs. or so of groceries. I may need to consider my routes based on what I'm planning to purchase where.

Some of the roads were dirt and gravel. The trailer handled them with ease. The Ibex has a suspension to help ease some of the bumps. Again, since I've never had any other trailer, I don't have a comparison point.

I think I've found the way for me to haul my camera gear when I go out for a photo expedition. Since I usually stick to roads, both paved and dirt, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know how well the trailer would handle true singletrack. The trailer is fairly narrow, so with care and practice, I think it is possible.

I saved about $2 in gasoline today!

No comments: