Sunday, March 09, 2008

Roasted Asparagus and Honey-Mustard Chicken

The latest (March 2008) issue of Sunset magazine has a feature on using some green, in-season vegetables. This being Alaska, on a remote island, well, there's not much in the way of in-season. However I did find some pretty good looking asparagus at around $3.00/lb. (which is actually quite good here), so I got a bunch and tried out the Roasted Asparagus recipe from the magazine. I used more salt than the recipe suggests. Using high quality extra virgin olive oil and high quality parmesan or Parmesano-Reggiano I think are the keys to getting that extra little bit of taste and flavor from the asparagus. (In other words, don't cheapen out on the igredients.)

Amy doesn't like asparagus, though she did admit these were better than the "regular" asparagus (whatever "regular" means...) The rest of us thought they were very good.

For myself, I also cooked a couple small chicken breasts and made a honey-dijon mustard-lemon juice sauce. I thought it came out quite well, but since no one else in my family usually eats chicken, I have no other points of comparison.

I marinated the chicken for about an hour in some cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, garlic, and basil. And then I pan grilled it for about 13 minutes over medium to medium-high heat. Meanwhile I combined some honey, lemon juice, dijon mustard, some sugar, a bit of salt, and a bit of water for a sauce. I thickened it a bit with some corn starch right before taking it off the heat.

We also had some corn (from frozen bag and cooked) and also had some garlic-parmesan mashed potatoes.

No comments: