Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Bookshelves! (and other things)

After 19 or so months of most of our books sitting in boxes, quite a few of them came out to see the light today. We had been through all these boxes during all this time, but we now have a few bookcases so that we don't have to go searching through half a dozen boxes to try to find the book that we need.

Elise ordered four bookcases from IKEA in Seattle, had them sent to the Alaska Marine Lines (AML) port in Seattle, and then had them barged up to Petersburg. She picked them up on Monday and spent yesterday and today assembling them and putting them up.

Today was another spring-y day. It was a bit more cloudy, and by evening rain started to fall. But being optimistic, I swapped the wheels with studded tires on my bicycle for wheels with thinner and smoother (and lighter!) tires. With the weather warming up a bit more, my gear shifters are also starting to work a little better. I suspect that in the cold the shift cable gets stiff and the shifter fails to hook the end properly. The end result is that on my rear cog, I can only get about four gears out of the eight that are available. Today was the first time since last autumn that I was able to shift through all eight.

Our church has set dates for the Quit Now smoking cessation seminars. I sent in an ad to run in the local paper. We begin on Thursday, March 27 and meet seven times over the course of about two weeks. Since I'll be the presenter, I'll need to review the materials and make sure I know them well enough.

No comments: