Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Living Translation, 2nd ed.

The New Living Translation (NLT) is my favorite translation and the one I use primarily. The last few years, I've been using either web-based Bibles, or the one included in a recent QuickVerse library. I've known for a while now that the NLT was revised and is now published as the Second Edition.

What I didn't realize was that many of the phrases and thought interpretations that caused my eyebrows to raise up a bit and say to myself, "Huh...? Does it really say that?" in the first edition have been corrected in the second. I found this out as I was reading the printed version (first ed.) against the QuickVerse library (second ed.)

After discovering how much better the second edition is in removing interpretation bias, I determined that this was a required "upgrade" and ordered the new NLT ("new New...?") from Amazon.com.

I recommend to anyone who uses the NLT and is still using a pre-2004 edition to get the new edition (some of the 2007 publications are being labled NLTse). A basic one can be had on sale for less than $10.

No comments: