Thursday, January 11, 2007

Back in Petersburg

It was a relatively uneventful trip back to Petersburg. I rode over to the airport with the pastor from Nome, who was hoping to fly back today. Nome is one of those places where the airport shuts down frequently during bad weather. I think he was supposed to leave last night, but no flights were making it there. In fact, he says that many times, the flight would reach Nome, but is not able to land, so it flies back to Anchorage.

His flight was supposed to leave this morning, but the plane taxied a short distance, then due to some mechanical problem, came right back. He's hoping to make it out tonight. It's nice of the Anchorage airport to provide free public WiFi access.

My flight was delayed about 40 minutes. But once we got on our way, everything was fairly smooth. Going into Juneau and then all the way down to Petersburg, I was able to see snow-capped peaks floating above the clouds. I did take quite a few photos -- I'll find out tonight if any of them are any good.

There must have been a huge tailwind or something from Juneau to Petersburg, because most of the time lost at Anchorage was made up by the time we landed. It feels almost tropical here compared to the sub-zero temperatures I experienced during the earlier part of the week.

Upon my return, I discovered that our front windows now have pseudo-curtains on them.

No comments: