Sunday, January 21, 2007

Escaping troubles

I received news from our old home that reinforces and builds confidence that we made the right decision to make the move here four months (can you believe that!?) ago, despite the unknowns and uncertainties.

Without going into all the specifics, had we remained, I can see and feel the stress that we would be experiencing. God, in his omniscience, knowing my personality saw fit to remove me from the storms and waves that would have hit me squarely. My personality includes both a golden retriever kind of loyalty as well a pit-bull like tenacity, so that if a huge hole opens up, I feel the need to remain there to fill it until the job is done, even if I'm the only one working, and even when the job seems hopeless.

When we left Portland, there were certainly uncertainties, but things weren't in a red-alert, crisis mode around us. Now it seems like some things down there are. And if I was there, there would be no way we would be making a move here until things settled down -- which could be many more months.

Our original plan was to wait on moving until our house sold... Well, if we had, we would still be there. We would be dealing with various negative emotions. But instead, we are far away, and instead of feeling like treading water, we have a sense that we are starting to make a real difference through our work here.

Now if we could only figure out and see ahead to understand why our house still hasn't sold yet... I believe and trust that God's timing is impeccable, but the waiting is horribly difficult.

No comments: