Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Trying out Full Circle Farm

On Sunday I signed up for biweekly organic produce shipments from Full Circle Farm. We are getting the medium box (about the size of a book box) which is around $50. Before you gasp in astonishment at the cost, keep in mind everything in it is organic, it’s air shipped, and the per pound cost (I should have weighed the box) is probably not that much more than regular priced produce at the store here. The box was packed well with produce (no filler material).

There was lettuce, spinach, chard, red bell pepper, carrots (with tops!), nappa cabbage, peaches, apples, strawberries, grapes, tomatoes… I wrapped the leafy vegetables and the peppers in newspaper and then in a plastic bag before placing them in the refrigerator. They seem to last a lot longer that way. I looked at a romaine lettuce I purchased two weeks ago stored this way, and it still looks fine. I used to use paper towels, but I saw my parents using newspapers, so I started using that instead. Produce seems to last longer with the newspaper.

I used some of the spinach and lettuce this evening. It could just be all in my mind, but I thought the lettuce tasted better than the ones we usually find here… We also had a few of the strawberries. They were very, very red – almost a deep burgundy – and very sweet.

Anyway, I’m going to give this a try for a while and see how it goes.

No comments: