Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Chocolate Cake and Birthday

Today is Shelley’s birthday. I started making a chocolate cake last night. The recipe is from the June 2009 issue of Bon Appetit. The recipe is Giant Chocolate Cake with Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache. I didn’t use the edible flower bit in the recipe for decoration/garnish because I couldn’t find any to use.

I made the ganache this morning. Since I don’t decorate cakes, Elise decorated the cake this afternoon.

R0010070

We ordered burritos and enchiladas from the Mexican restaurant and had that for dinner, followed by cake and ice cream.

R0010071 R0010072 R0010073

Trick candles in use…
R0010074

R0010075 

The cake turned out to be not too sweet (even with the 2 cups of sugar!), moist, and the ganache was decadently chocolaty. This is the second cake I’ve made from scratch. Yeah, from scratch costs more and takes more time than mixes, but the quality is definitely superior.

No comments: