Sunday, June 07, 2009

Still sunny and warm

The weather forecast wasn’t quite right, it seems. A few days ago clouds were forecast to come in today and start cooling down, but it looks like that’s been pushed out another 36-48 hours. Today, thus, remains sunny and warm, and unlike the last few days there isn’t much of a breeze. The official observation shows 70 degrees at this time (2 p.m.).

I rode out to Blind River Rapids, about 15 miles out, and then back for a total of just over 30 miles in just under 2 hours. This stretch of warm and dry weather has allowed me to put in miles on the bicycle like I used to be able to do back in Portland. I rode 22 miles last Wednesday, 16 miles on Thursday, 19 miles on Friday, and 30 miles today. I think this is the first time in 3 years that I was able to put in that many miles all within a week.

After the Wednesday ride my knee was a bit bothered, but it appears that my legs are already adjusting to the longer distance and time. After today’s ride I don’t feel any problems.

I also realized that the highway is now paved all the way to the South Ferry Terminal at around milepost 26. I haven’t actually been on that road since it was paved, so I don’t know what it’s like, but theoretically now I can go out and back for almost 60 miles – good enough for a century training if I ever feel inclined to participate in another one somewhere down south.

No comments: