Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Getting rain

We’ve had rain off and on for the last three days now – back to “normal” Petersburg weather. It does help reduce the dust that’s been flying about, so I guess that’s good. It’s also cooler, and I’m happy about that.

For some reason I’ve been feeling rather tired and run down the last few days as well. Sleep patterns have been somewhat erratic. I got up at around 4:15 a.m. today after getting to bed around 9 p.m. last night. One of my lower eyelids has been twitching for two days now…

On a rather different topic, why is fruit so expensive in Japan? Take the case of cherries. I found a blog that discussed the effort that goes into growing cherries. In order to be marketable, the final result must be free of blemish, have the right colors and proper taste. In order to accomplish this the cherries are grown under shelter (to keep out the rain), with heaters during the winter, proper ventilation to control temperature, rental honeybees to pollinate, and branches bundled in threes to make sure each fruit gets the necessary exposure to sunlight. Elise purchased a bag of cherries yesterday. I looked at its contents, and I’m pretty sure 90%+ of the fruit in there wouldn’t make it to a Japanese market.

No comments: