Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Learning stoicism

Petersburg having a strong Norwegian history, and Norwegians known for stoicism, among other things, maybe some of it is rubbing off...

This morning I got a call about the rental property we have down in Oregon. It was on fire. I didn't believe it for a few moments there. When I asked again, I heard the same thing. Uh, oh... So I'm thinking, maybe I should panic, get all worried and anxious... And then I realize it's quite a few miles away and no realistic way to get there and do anything about it, so I begin thinking:

"Ya..., vell..., vaht can vee do abvout it anyvays?"

What's happened has happened. It can't be reversed like a video, and there's no reset button or do-overs.

"Might as vell go veeth the floh..."

I go upstairs, pull out the files for the property, double check the landlord policy to make sure at least there's coverage, though there's a pretty hefty deductible. At least it should cover the majority of the repairs and reconstruction if it turns out to have major damage. So I call the phone number and begin the claims process.

Later I learn that most of the living areas weren't affected too badly. Initial thought is that the chimney from the fireplace caught fire. Even later, this evening, I learn that in fact it wasn't the chimney, but probably the back behind the fireplace was where the fire started. From there it traveled up and caught the attic on fire. Apparently the attic was pretty heavily damaged. The fire crew thought it was pretty lucky that the fire was actually found and contained when it was. Usually, they say, fires like these aren't found until the whole structure is beyond saving.

"Ya, vell..., it could have veen vorse... At least no vun vas hurt or dead..."

Yeah, it's yet another unexpected expense. I wonder how it is that something always comes up to use up money that we'd rather use for something more discretionary... Does anyone have a good answer to this question? It's one thing to have planned expense, but major unexpected expenses are really annoying (to say the least).

"Ah, vell... It's just money. It ain't doin' any good just sitting around..."

So there you have the excitement for the day. Now you see why I needed to take a nice long walk outside, and take and bask in the peace and tranquility between our house and the Post Office. I needed more stoicism to get me through.

And no, I don't, for even a moment, see this as "part of God's plan." Now something good may come out of it, but I don't believe God needs bad things, evil things, in order to work out his purposes. He uses what happens, but I don't believe he causes evil. (So I do have disagreements with insurance companies and their "acts of God" phrases in policies. But I won't argue with them about it, because I need the coverage. :)

No comments: