Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Jesus: Does His Divinity Matter?

This entry is my commentary on the the Sabbath School lesson 2 for April 12, The Mystery of His Deity.

"Why does it matter whether or not Jesus was God?" I raised this question last week, but deferred making any attempts to respond to it. This week the Study Guide dives right into the topic of Jesus' divinity.

I was hoping for more direction, guidance, and suggestions than what the Study Guide provides. It basically assumes that Jesus' divinity is important and much of the material this week concerns possible evidences that show he is indeed divine. But the "why is it important" is not, from my perspective, adequately addressed.

Maybe that is actually a rather difficult question, because there are two other lesson discussions that I listen to during the week. In one of them the participants never (unless I missed it) raise the question. Everyone presumably assumes that everyone else considers it of primary importance. In the other discussion (Good Word from Walla Walla University), the question is raised right up front. I found it interesting that the guests asked the question, both from the school of theology, at least the way I heard them, appeared to have some difficulties arriving at meaningful responses.

Both C. S. Lewis and Josh McDowell, considered some of the best Christian apologists, argue that if Jesus wasn't God then he had to be a fool, lunatic, or the biggest fraud or liar in history. And if that was the case, Christianity is also a fraud. Although I don't find fault with the logic of their arguments, personally I find the arguments less than satisfying. To me they seem to stop short of really answering the "why" question.

I also have a number of other apologetic books that defend Jesus' divinity. But again, none of them adequately, if at all, explain why Jesus' divinity is so important that it needs to be defended.

So perhaps I am going to tread on ground that even the best educated theologians and the best apologists shy away from or seem to provide answers that don't cut it anymore today. But it is important, no critical, that I know why Jesus' divinity is important.

At this point, I think it is also important to make a distinction between questioning the importance of God's existence vs. importance of Jesus' divinity. One can believe in the existence of God, even a personal God, without accepting Jesus' divinity. Now, if God doesn't exist, then the ramifications seem quite clear. But why should someone who believes in God also believe that Jesus was and is God? What difference does it make what one believes about Jesus? That's the question that I am going to try to address as best as my limited knowledge and reasoning allows.

If Jesus was and is God...

  • I have a better picture of God than we would if all that was left were impressions of humans. (Critics would argue that even the records about Jesus are just impressions of humans, but that is beyond the scope of this current discussion. I believe that the available evidence is sufficient to support an accurate, if not precise, portrait of Jesus as God.)
  • I have assurance that the laws by which this world operates -- resulting in oppression, injustice, suffering, violence, evil, sickness, death -- will come to an end and be replaced by a completely opposing set of laws based on love.
  • I have assurance of complete acceptance by God, because he walked all the steps necessary to reach me where I'm at.
  • I have all the power I need to continue walking with God, because his promise to send the Holy Spirit is as sure as his word.

On the other hand, if Jesus wasn't God...

  • I really wouldn't have a good idea of what God is like. Most likely God would be a lot like how many of the Old Testament writers depicted God. Certainly more benevolent than say the Canaanite gods, but still somewhat tyrannical, unpredictable, unapproachable, rewards and punishment based. What kind of a god would create a man, Jesus, just for the purpose of going through crucifixion?
  • I wouldn't know how to relate to God. Do I do my best to be good and to obey all of his demands? What are all of his demands? Could I ever know what they all are? What if I accidentally missed one? He might zap me.
  • I would forever be unsure where I would end up after death -- if there was anything beyond the grave.
  • The laws governing the universe -- physical and spiritual -- would be unfair. Those with genetic predispositions toward sin and evil, those raised in environments bent toward sin and evil -- they would be inherently more unacceptable to God and less likely to ever be acceptable.
  • There would be no assurance that what Jesus taught and demonstrated was the truth about God. Like I noted earlier, God could be the complete opposite of Jesus, if Jesus wasn't God -- Jesus could have gotten God all wrong.
  • None of Jesus' promises would really be sure.
  • God would have never initiated reaching out to rescue sinners. Effectively I would be on my own, relying on my own effort, to attempt to bridge the gap between God and me -- ultimately a futile effort.

I'm sure others would put aside some of the above and come up with their own. Maybe some of the reasons I give aren't logically sound. But I hope that this is a good starting point for thinking about the importance of recognizing, accepting, and believing Jesus as God.

I'm not going to discuss the evidence for and against Jesus actually being God, because that is the main thrust of the Study Guide; and also there are many good books available.

Yes, Jesus' divinity does matter. It provides solid assurance and certainty of God's love and his promises to us.

2 comments:

aldenthompson said...

Very helpful comments. Have you checked the study guide available through the WWU Good Word program (www.wallawalla.edu/goodword)? In it I include a brief narrative on my own discovery of the incarnate God, something that happened in my second year of seminary through the study of John 14-17. The impact on my soul was enormous, banishing the haunting picture of a reluctant God, a picture that had long troubled me. For me, that discovery continues to be one of the most important features of the Gospel story.

Mark said...

Thanks Alden. I did read the study guide comments that you included. The question of "why does Jesus matter" seems to be one that each person has to answer for themselves, and each will arrive at it from different places.

I want to let you know that I've found your books and articles - the one's I've found - helpful in my journey.