Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Discipline of "I don't know"

I came across a blog entry today with which I identify. The more knowledge I acquire, the more I realize how much I don't know. At times I might appear to be speaking or writing with confidence, but really, in my mind, they are more often than not beliefs that I hope are true.

I think I've whittled my basis (pillars) of faith and belief to three points: 1) That God is love. 2) That this love is at least partly expressed by God in giving everyone, including me, freedom to explore the vastness of the universe of matter, ideas, and the unseen in ways that are both beneficial and harmful. 3) That God desires everyone, though not everyone will, through experimentations in freedom, to come to know and accept that his ways are best.

Everything else, for me, is pretty much hypothesis and theory -- I think they're true at this point in my experience, but I may change my perspective or belief if any turn out to not fit the three points above. For me, all of the other details of theology (salvation, justification, grace, Jesus, sanctification, etc.) are derived from and are further explanations of those points. I hold (or at least I like to think I do) most of my beliefs loosely.

No comments: