Sunday, August 31, 2008

Caught a cold

Shelley's been suffering from a miserable cold for over a week now. I'm now starting to feel the first symptoms coming on -- headache, sore throat -- not at all pleasant. I even ended up taking a brief nap this afternoon. Part of it must have had to do with waking up at 4:30.

In the light of a new day and with somewhat clearer mind, I took a closer look at the damage to the pickup canopy door and discovered that it might not be as disastrous as it first appeared. All of us thought that the hinge was part of the frame riveted onto the canopy itself. But when I handled the hinge this morning I noticed it was in two section and slid out the sides. So even though the door had torn apart the hinges, it looks like the frame itself is intact and possibly a repair will be as simple as purchasing (I hope I don't have to try to convince the factory that there are no dealers within a thousand miles...) and getting shipped (okay, that may not be so simple) a new door assembly. One of the mounts (on the frame) for the gas shock appears to have been bent quite a bit. I'm not sure which one though, because I don't recall what the mount looked like originally.

I purchased some heavy duty plastic to cover up the hole in the back of the pickup, cut it to fit the opening, and used some all-weather duct tape to secure it. I hope it holds.

The fog cleared up, but the sun never really came through today. That's just as fine, because I'm feeling more miserable by the hour. You know I'm not feeling well when I resort to pre-packaged box of dry, scalloped potatoes and canned, baked beans for supper. I did cook up a sweet-and-sour chili sauce to mix in with the baked beans, though, hoping that some hot peppers, garlic, and vinegar might blow away the cold...

No comments: