Saturday, August 30, 2008

Not a good day

Returning home from church, entering our garage, Shelley was in the back and flipped open the canopy glass door. I didn't realize it, kept going in, the handles on the glass door caught the garage frame, and with a thundering crash it tore right off of the canopy, popping out the rivets holding it to the hinges and tearing the hinges themselves. The frame holding the glass is completely warped out of shape.

Shelley, other than probably a huge scare, is okay.

There are no Glasstite dealers in Alaska.

I'm annoyed and really annoyed that this is Labor Day weekend.

Why is it that whenever extra money comes around (or is about to -- in the form of the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend) that stuff (or insert some other word here) happens?

I don't know if someone here can repair it, or if it has to be sent back to the factory. But it all has to wait until Tuesday. And meanwhile, I'm frustrated because there is a problem and only ambiguity for solutions. I'll also need to buy some clear plastic and find a way to cover the hole and keep it sealed while still leaving the bed accessible.

Oh, and another minor annoyance to compound the big annoyance: the crock pot lid detached from the hinge. The plastic holding two nuts for the screws holding the lid had cracked around the nuts and the lid came crashing down. Other than one very startled guest and everyone else just startled, there didn't seem to be any harm done. I tried to make a repair on that one with some Gorilla Glue. I'm not yet sure how successful the attempt is. I guess I'll have to contact the manufacturer and see if they can ship out a new hinge assembly...

I'm not sure where the third accident is going to be... After all, troubles come in threes. Or maybe it already happened. There was a spring and rope adding counterweight to the dishwasher door. The rope rubbed and frayed and broke a month or two ago. Other than having to be careful about lowering the door, there was no other functional damage. I'm hoping that this completes the "three."

No comments: