Thursday, August 28, 2008

A brief respite from wet

The clouds broke up a bit and the rain stopped for a bit during the middle part of the day today. That was a signal for me to go and mow the grass, now more than six weeks overgrown. I'd have rather been doing something else, but I had vowed to myself that the next time it stopped raining and I didn't have other, more pressing tasks on hand, I would mow the lawn. And so I did. I wouldn't categorize the job in the "fun" category. Especially since the grass was now really long, the reel mower had a tough time with it. There were portions on the yard where I had to make three passes over at different mowing heights. The lengths I go to in order to not use gasoline... It got all done, and even if it wasn't fun, I was pleased that it finally got done. Not fun, but I suppose pleasurable in a way...

I ended up with just four or five insect bites, which is also good news. I was just getting over all the bites from camp. Now I have brand new ones to scratch during the night.

Everyone -- I really mean everyone -- is commenting how fall-like the weather is. In fact, most would say that nearly the entire summer was missing. It was as if we went straight from spring to fall and no one really knows where the change was.

A few days ago I spoke with the pastor over in Juneau, and he commented how some people there, long-time residents even, are getting fed up with the weather. There are some people already starting in on the winter blues.

One of the pastors here commented that we could be seeing a lot more people decide to pack up and leave permanently after the last few summers (or rather, the lack of summer). He also says that the climatologists are predicting another 20 years of weather like this.

If you must have sun and warm temps, this is probably not the place where you want to live.

No comments: