Friday, February 01, 2008

A walk in our "backyard"

Since the large amount of snow fell earlier this week, I've been meaning to go out snowshoeing, but hadn't quite gotten to it. For one reason or another by the time I was done with all that I planned to do, there wasn't too much daylight left.

Today, I decided to just go out and worry about the other things later. So I spent a couple of hours tromping through the snow covered muskeg. The muskeg stretches all the way from our backyard to the airport. I didn't go quite that far -- probably about halfway there before I started the loop back. With the temps in the teens and 20's, the snow is still quite powdery and fresh, with light snow continuing to fall today. We might see another four or five inches of snow by tomorrow morning.

I saw one small deer while out. It was having some difficulties navigating the deep snow. The snow came to its belly. It couldn't just walk through it, but had to leap to make progress.

Here's what our "backyard" looks like in winter when it's covered with snow. I have no clever captions for these photos. They're just "muskeg."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: