Saturday, February 09, 2008

Sermon: Free Food

(Click HERE for MP3 sermon audio.)

Today's sermon discusses John 12:1-19. The bulk of the sermon, however, is another story, an allegory of sorts. It could possibly function as an extended children's story/sermon. Following the story I get into John 12, the story of a feast (at Bethany) within a feast (Passover), and the different people's reactions to Jesus.

The focus is on Mary, the example that John, the writer, gives to his readers to imitate in responding to Jesus' offer of grace. All the other characters offer contrasting responses the John presents as examples not to foll0w.

When I was originally planning how to present today's sermon, I was working things out along the line of how "free" food was frequently encountered at companies I worked at, conferences I attended, wedding receptions, etc. In each of these cases, I wasn't expected to "pay" for the food, but to just accept it as part of my benefits of employment, attending the conference, or accepting and attending the reception. Anyway, things didn't quite work out along those lines, as you can tell.

I had also planned to spend much more time in the sermon working through the theology of grace (in John 12:1-19) and the possible responses to it, but again, somehow telling a story seemed much more appropriate for today than dry explanations...

No comments: