Tuesday, February 12, 2008

An extra sermon to prepare this week

Last week I was asked by the Presbyterian pastor to fill in for him on the 17th while he is away on vacation. I accepted, and then got to wondering what I should talk about... I considered taking one of my past sermons and reworking it. I thought that maybe I coul preach the same sermon on both the 16th and the 17th. And then in one of those things that usually only happens in other people's lives, I had a dream in the night -- literally -- where I saw myself leading a discussion on the significance of genealogy in the Bible and its significance to us as 21st century Christians.

I haven't been sleeping through the night recently -- various concerns, having a cold, etc. During those times when I'm awake, I do some praying in bed. I do recall praying about the sermon I was asked to give sometime during the night before I had the dream. The dream was so vivid, so unexpected, and so strong was the theme that I could develop into a sermon, I took it to be both a sign and a message that I should work out the sermon on the topic of genealogy.

For Sabbath, I'll continue working through John. This week I will discuss John 12:19-50. The sermon title is Can You See Him?

On Sunday, the sermon title will be Family Tree. I've worked out the children's story/sermon so far and now need to write out the sermon for the adults.

(P.S. BTW, this is post #500 in this blog.)

No comments: