Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Logitech VX Nano Wireless Notebook Mouse

I've had this mouse for almost a month now and I have to say it is one great mouse.

It was about a year ago that the right mouse button died on a wired Microsoft notebook mouse. It's amazing how much use that right mouse button gets. Fortunately on notebook PCs, usually there's another way to perform right mouse button clicks. It was still quite inconvenient, however. I wasn't about to pay a king's ransom in Petersburg for a replacement mouse.

The day after we arrived in Oregon, I made a beeline to BestBuy to look at the wireless mice available. I looked at the different ones, but choosing the Logitech VX Nano was a no-brainer. The feature that was key to my decision was the USB receiver. It plugs in and only extends out maybe 1/4 inch. There is no need to unplug it when moving it about. There's no fear of bumping it and damaging it. If there is ever a need to unplug it, there is convenient storage for it inside the battery compartment.

The next feature that clinched the deal was the on/off switch located on the bottom of the mouse. Why has it taken so long for a wireless mouse to evolve to have this convenient feature, I wonder?

The feel of it is very good in my hands. I don't have huge hands, so a smaller, notebook-oriented size works much better. I have one of the original Microsoft wireless mice somewhere in storage. It was a good mouse, but I always thought it was a little too big for my hands.

I haven't personally seen great advantages of some of the other touted features such as the laser technology, or the hyper-fast scrolling. The forward/back buttons are somewhat more convenient in navigating web sites than using the browser forward/back buttons (or right mouse click and selecting the popup menu item). The carrying case is nice especially during transport inside a notebook bag to prevent more than necessary scratches on the mouse body. The unit also comes with a wired USB receiver for those that also want to use this with a desktop PC. (I suppose one could try to mouse in both notebook and desktop PCs at the same time... I just thought of it...)

You might be getting the impression that I really like this mouse, and you would be right. It's one I'd highly recommend to anyone looking for a new notebook (or even a desktop) mouse.

No comments: