Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Digital Photo Frame

During our last day in Oregon we dropped by a BestBuy to pick up a few electronics items. Among them was a digital photo frame, the Kodak EasyShare M1020. It was on sale, $50 off, so I picked this one up rather than the less expensive M820. The difference between the two was just $10.

When I saw the demo units I was a little worried that the picture quality of the M1020 wasn't that good. It turns out that the demo movie being played on the frame was a lower resolution than what the frame can display. Once I loaded my own photos onto the frame, I could see that the quality was just fine. Among the frames available at BestBuy, the Kodak frames seemed to have the best picture quality as well as best available viewing angles. I also like the touch-sensitive border controls on the new M-series of Kodak frames. I've tried some of the others with buttons and such on the backs of the frames, but they just don't seem to work as well.

The one thing missing from the M-series is WiFi. However, I know of someone who has a WiFi frame and at least on that frame, connection is sporadic and troublesome. So WiFi probably isn't a really big loss.

It comes with software, but I haven't installed it onto the PC so I really have no clue what it offers.

The frame is a 3:2 display ratio rather than 4:3. What this means is that photos from digital SLRs display in their entirety without cropping or black borders. On the other hand, photos from digital point-and-shoots won't fit perfectly in the display. Since my primary camera is a digital SLR, the 3:2 display ratio was one of the big reasons for purchasing this frame.

So far I'm quite pleased with this digital photo frame.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Among them was a digital photo frame, the Kodak EasyShare M1020. ... digitalframewifi.blogspot.com