Monday, November 05, 2007

Sermon: Two Great Sinners

(Click HERE to listen to MP3 sermon audio.)

(The web hosting provider that hosts my sermon audio files has been moving their servers over the weekend. That's why this is being posted today and why if anyone has tried to access audio over the weekend, it wasn't working.)

I started the voice recorder about a minute into the sermon. What happened before the recording starts is I asked a couple of questions: Have you ever been misunderstood? Have you ever misunderstood someone? And then I gave a couple of examples of cross-cultural misunderstandings. Where the recording starts, I'm struggling to find some other examples -- which is why you hear a lot of long pauses.

The sermon itself is based on Luke 7:36-50. This is the story of the sinful woman who washes, kisses, and anoints Jesus' feet during a dinner at a Pharisee's (Simon) house.

I discuss some of the cultural nuances I learned about this story from reading Kenneth Bailey's Through Peasant Eyes. These details help explain and amplify the significance of the woman's actions and the contrast between her and Simon. It also helps show Jesus was quite a counter-cultural person.

The message brought out in the sermon is nothing new. My reason for speaking on this topic is to present a relatively familiar story in a fresh light to discover some motifs that we might have missed earlier. And by doing so to find new ways to incorporate the messages of the story into our daily lives.

No comments: