Thursday, November 15, 2007

Just when I'm about to give up...

Just when I'm about to give up on my attempts to continue the children's choir due to lack of interest... both in terms of hardly anyone coming, and of those that coming, not showing much interest when they're there... things seem to improve, if just a bit.

For the last couple of months, other than our children (and Shelley works Thursday evenings, so she only comes for the last little bit, when she chooses to do so), it's just been a couple others. They were present in body, but their minds, for the most part, have been elsewhere. So I had been getting more and more discouraged about the whole thing, wondering if my efforts were being swallowed up into a black hole, and if my energies would be better utilized elsewhere.

So tonight, since I hadn't heard from them or anyone else about coming to our choir rehearsal, I kind of let it go. When 7:00 p.m. came and went without a peep from anyone, I figured that no one had come. And then some eight or nine minutes later, I get a call from the church wondering where we were...

In a rush Elise, Amy, and I dashed out the door, into the car, and hurried along at 25 mph towards the church. Once there I was quite surprised to see four girls already there. It took me a several minutes to get my mind into choir mode, but once there, things got better. All the kids seemed to be more into the rehearal, and I could actually hear singing from them.

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving, so we won't meet again for two weeks. Tonight gave me a little boost in motivation to continue for at least a little bit longer. If the girls that were present tonight continue, we just might have enough to put on the little Christmas musical that we've been working on.

No comments: