Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm tired!

I've been on my feet much of the day, cooking up our Thanksgiving dinner. The menu for today was --

Appetizers:
Salad with curry vinaigrette, topped with pear (canned) slices and dried currants

Soup: Green soup (a creamed pea soup, Indian style)

Main course:
Side dishes:
  • Bread stuffing (Stove Top boxed) with apples and cranberries
  • Green bean casserole
  • Mashed red potatoes
  • Cranberry sauce
Dessert: Pumpkin pie (purchased, not made)

Drinks: Martinellis

Elise helped out with some of the preparation and put together the green bean casserole. Amy cooked the cranberries to turn it into sauce.

All of the food ended up being enough to probably serve 15-20 people. Hardly a dent was made in the side dishes, and much of the main courses were left to be served another day.

In the middle of the day, our dishwasher started to give up the ghost. I tried to see if it would run one more load, but there just doesn't seem to be enough water pressure through the nozzles. I suspect that the pump might be going out, as something is making strange noises, like it is struggling to operate. So we are back to hand washing all of the dishes. I guess I'll call the city's appliance repair guy and see if this is something that can be fixed, given that the dishwasher is a vintage model. If not, I guess we might be replacing it earlier than I thought.

This being Thanksgiving and the appropriate thing to be thankful in all things, I'm trying to figure out how a malfunctioning dishwasher fits into the giving of thanks...

2 comments:

~ V ~ said...

Just be thankful it isn't working rather than leaking water all over the kitchen. BTDT.

Mark said...

That's true. It isn't leaking. Thanks!