Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cocoa taste test

The December 2007 issue of Consumer Reports has a small article on cocoa drink/hot chocolate mixes. I noticed that the lowest rated ones are the ones we have in our house.

Just for kicks, I decided to taste test the two that we have and compare it against a custom blend built up from raw cocoa powder. The result was exactly as expected from the article. When compared to the rich, thick, bitter-sweet, chocolatey taste of my custom blend, the mixes were like drinking syrupy sweet, thin, runny, colored water. When I concentrated hard enough, I could almost pick out the chocolate flavor in the mixes.

Elise tells me it isn't really about how close these mixes come to tasting like chocolate. She says it's about comfort and familiarity, and about being nice and warm. For myself, I prefer the chocolate -- as does Shelley. But Amy seems to prefer the mix. She says my blend tastes too much like dark chocolate (and we are not talking about Hershey's Special Dark, which I find much too sweet).

No comments: