Thursday, April 05, 2007

Turns out the motherboard and/or CPU is bad

I brought back a known good power supply unit today, but discovered that the problem with my PC still exists. The PSU tester that I have is apparently not good either. Sigh...

So it's down to either the motherboard or the CPU that is bad (and perhaps both...). I found a supplier that sells Dell motherboards, so I ordered one. I first started looking around for a complete replacement barebones system that I could plug in my current hard drive and other parts into, but it soon added up to $500 and so I decided to look a little harder for an OEM replacement motherboard (the reason I can't use any motherboard is that the Dell front panel connector and the Dell heatsink attachment are proprietary). The vendor doesn't ship to PO Boxes, so I'm having to have it shipped to the Lower 48, and then relayed up here.

That pretty much sums up my day -- not a whole lot of progress and plenty of frustration.

Oh, by the way, the PSU that I ordered hadn't shipped yet, so I successfully cancelled that order -- at least one sort of positive thing in an otherwise mediocre day.

No comments: