Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Choir notes

With a new performance target less than two weeks away, we did some serious rehearsing tonight of "It Is Well With My Soul." We had seven kids this evening, one which was a first-timer. We have some work to do to get this song ready. I may end up recording the accompaniment for this one because with the choir sings the refrain section in two-part antiphonal style in the second half of the arrangement, and this really needs direction up front. I'm still doing both the directing and the accopmanying, and well, it's hard (nigh impossible) to do both simultaneously. To create a recording, I've got to make sure I have the correct audio cables for our piano to go to my computer (which is still working with the new motherboard).

Last week I received the Kodaly-based instruction book that I ordered. When I was reviewing the lessons earlier, I wondered how well they would be received, but I had nothing to worry about. I used one of the lessons this evening to great success. It was just a simple, short rhyme used to help experience and learn steady-beat. In beat, we all tapped our hands on our knees, formed our hands into wings to flutter away, varied our voice pitches, etc. Just simple things but there was plenty of excitement and laughs.

No comments: