Monday, April 30, 2007

Foreigners are invading

Okay, so they're not really foreigners. Just tourists and those passing through, or cannery and fishing workers for the summer.

I'm sure there must have been some, but I can't recall any non-Alaska license plates during the winter months. Just in the last few days though, I've seen Washington, Idaho, and California plates. The vehicle from California was stopped at a turnout on North Nordic Ave. with who I assume to be the driver was admiring the Narrows, Frederick Sound, and the hills.

Today was supposed to have some rain, but I didn't see any at all. I was even able to get out my road bicycle for a quick trip to the Post Office. The road I took by the airport has a short stretch that is no longer paved. It contains a combination of dirt and gravel. I was imagining myself on one of the stretches of roads in Belgium, racing in the dirt and cobbles... (sort of...)

Shelley seems to be coming down with a cold. So she is skipping her swimming lesson this evening.

We had some curried red kidney beans and cauliflower (rajma masala) for dinner. I found it in the February issue of Sunset (p. 106). I finally found a way to make cauliflower palatable! It has plenty of potent spices, so maybe this will help blow away Shelley's cold. Amy made the observation that it looked a lot like minestrone soup. Maybe because I added some zucchinis to it...

No comments: