Sunday, April 22, 2007

Notes from last week

I thought I should note a few things from last week that haven't been mentioned already.

Elise worked her first full week -- which is to say 12-1/2 hrs. x 3 shifts. She says she is enjoying it. What all this means for me is that I now have to adjust my weekly schedule to accommodate the children's activities throughout the week. This includes things like swimming, music lessons, field trips, and visits to the library. It means that I don't have quite as much uninterrupted time as I used to have. The fortunate thing is that because the distance from one end of town to the other is around a mile, everyone pretty much knows everyone else in town, and because our children are old enough to be quite self-sufficient, I'm able to leave them home for a while, or let them go about town on their own.

Much of last week was sunny, dry, and warm. That last one might depend on what you think is warm. We've had temperatures that have hit 55F. For people acclimated here, this is apparently shorts and swimsuit temps. We've seen quite a few people out and about in shorts and swimsuits in what Southern Californians might consider jacket or even coat weather...

With the roads fairly free of dirt and sand that was spread out during the winter ice and snow, I've been able to take out my road bike a few times. Here it's pretty much an out-and-back ride on Sandy Beach Rd., South and North Nordic Drives, and Mitkof Highway. I suppose in a couple of months I can take my mt. bike out on the Forest Service roads.

The clouds are increasing today, and the rest of this weeks looks like a return to rain.

In about 1-1/2 weeks, we are observing the National Day of Prayer. The evening service will be held at the Baptist church, in which I've agreed to function as the chorister for the congregational singing, and to have the children sing one song.

No comments: