Monday, December 04, 2006

Cooking adventures

This will be a short posting. There hasn't really been anything new, different, or unusual since yesterday. Rain and clouds continue outside, and probably will do so for another week. Pastor Brown has confirmed that he will be arriving tomorrow and staying for the week, leaving Sunday. Or so I thought -- as I was just writing this, I received a call from his wife, Eunice, informing me that Dave's sister just passed away and so he will be heading south.

We haven't found any "a-ge" (deep-fried tofu) in either of the grocery stores here, so for the last couple of weeks I've been making my own. I think I've gotten fairly proficient at it. Heat an inch or so of oil on medium-high heat, then deep-fry tofu sliced to about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick until the color starts to turn to a light brown. Turn up the heat almost to high to brown the surfaces a bit more, then turn the heat back down and take out the finished a-ge. I find that for stir frys, curries, and soups, a-ge is more flavorful and soaks in flavor much better than plain tofu.

I found a recipe for Pad Thai from scratch so I tried my hand at that this evening (and used the a-ge in place of the chicken). It came out pretty good. Everyone except Amy liked it. Amy has never been a big fan of the Thai rice stick noodles. The recipe was one that used linguine pasta, so I might try that next time and see if it's the noodles or the flavor that Amy objects to. She did like the a-ge though.

No comments: