Friday, September 22, 2006

Trying to get things set up

We were greeted to a nice day of clouds and rain. Our first stop was the Post Office where we tried to rent a box. But they were all out of readily available ones and were told to return next week when the combinations on available ones would be changed. What happens here is that all box rentals are free because there is no other delivery option. Each rental goes for six months. Many temporary residents don't inform the PO when they leave so the box can't be reassigned until the term expires. We are at the end of the summer season so many of the boxes are just expiring.

We next purchased a microwave so that we could at least cook a few things without pots and pans. We plan to borrow some from the church tomorrow.

We also stopped at the Salvation Army Store and obtained some boots and a heavy sheet to cover one of the bedroom windows.

We ordered phone service. It was sippard to have been connected today, but as of now the number is still inactive. (If you want the number, please email me.)

Earlier in the day as I was contemplating all that had to be done and the current condition of our living, and also all the things that would be arriving for which we have no room, I felt more than a little discouraged. I've been reading the book of Hebrews and I think I can identify a little with the recipients of that epistle. Like them I had questions about what I had gotten into, thoughts of wanting to go back to the knowns of the past.

But as we ticked off a few accomplishments, however minor they mat be, the obstacles facing us seem a little smaller and a little more manageable. I think that is how the walk of faith works. As God leads us, he gives us just enough strength to take a step at a time, and each step that we do take builds into the strength and courage to take the next one. We are all tempted to stop taking these steps because some seem so difficult and uncertain. If we give in, we stop growing and it becomes easier to given up altogether. As I read Hebrews, the message for me is to keep going, no matter how difficult or uncertain the visible future may be, because in the end all that I go through will be worth it and will have had meaning and purpose in God's grand plan.

Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

No comments: